Tasty Tex-Mex Breakfast Casserole
Are you feeling ready for fall yet?
Let's be honest. By late August, most of us are craving a little structure. Summer's loosey-goosey scheduling, or lack thereof, is such a needed relief from the regular months of busy #momlife. But now we're feeling ready to get back into the gym, get back into a routine, get back to work and send the kids back to school. Especially that last one.
Mamas need structure
Getting organized can feel overwhelming at first. If you've never planned or prepped meals, or never planned workouts, there is a learning curve. Once you get into the groove, though, planning is like its own anti-anxiety medication.
Get Your WHOLE Life Organized With Mama Reset. Jump On The Insider List To Get Notified First When #Mama Reset Opens!
Planning is like the Xanax of motherhood. Well, other than actual Xanax. So, sidebar: if you're feeling super overwhelmed or uncontrollably anxious or depressed, you have to talk to your doctor, mama. Medicine exists to help us manage otherwise unmanageable times.
If you're just the kind of anxious that comes from not taking control of your time, we can't tell you HOW much planning and prepping your food is going to change your life, the way you eat, and how you feel on a daily basis.
Breakfast is easy to throw together at the last minute. (Hello, instant oatmeal, we're looking at you.) Truly nutritious breakfasts that are packed with protein and vitamins don't come out of a tiny paper bag or a big yellow box, sadly.
Plus -- come on -- cereal is the breakfast of sadness.
It's like our parents gave it to us from birth and we can't imagine the rainbow of possibilities beyond a bowl of processed grain products.
We can do better, mamas!
Do Breakfast Better
Get ready for back to school -- and back to reality -- season with this delicious, kid-friendly make-ahead breakfast casserole.
PSSST: It's also totally fancy enough for a brunch or makes a great contribution to a potluck playdate or lunch.
Play around with veggie, meat and cheese combinations that work for you and your family. Consider this recipe your template for amazing but simple make-ahead egg casseroles to get you through the fall season.
And who doesn't love a little Tex Mex?
👉🏽 #MomHack: call this "Taco Casserole" and you'll win over the ankle biter set. Trust us.
Tex-Mex Breakfast Casserole
Yields 9-12 slices
- 12 large eggs, beaten
- ½ - ¾ lb lean ground pork or beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 medium yellow potato, 1-cm diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- sea salt + fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a 9x13" baking dish well with oil or butter.
- In large pan over medium, warm chili powder for 1 minute until fragrant. Add meat; cook until just browned.
- Add potato + garlic to pan, and cook 10 minutes, stirring, until soft.
- Add red pepper and half of scallions; cook 2-3 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat; mix in spinach + cilantro. Cool partially.
- Combine all ingredients except cheese in baking dish, and spread evenly. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake 23-25 minutes until set but not too brown. Garnish with remaining scallions.